Upper Allen Township Dog Park at Daybreak
Upper Allen Township’s First Dog Park
The Upper Allen Township Commissioners are pleased to announce the Township’s first dog park, which is being developed for early summer of 2018 grand opening. The dog park will feature over two acres of open space divided into three separate fenced-in areas; two for larger dogs, and one for smaller canines, a secure entry gate, dog-waste stations, a shade structure and plenty of trees. The park will be located near Daybreak Church at 321 Gettysburg Pike, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055.
Only dogs registered with the Township will be permitted to use the park. Registration forms can be found on the Township’s website or at the municipal building. Registration will include a key fob for entry into the park, which will be valid during the dog park year (July 1st to June 30th). There will be a fee for registration, additional dogs and lost or damaged key fobs. Registration fees paid December 31st through June 30th (the remainder of the dog park year) will be prorated 50 percent.
The Commissioners would like to give special thanks to Daybreak Church and Purina for their continued partnership which helped make this possible.
Upper Allen Dog Park At Daybreak
Upper Allen Dog Park At Daybreak Guidelines
For the safety and enjoyment of all dog park users, pre-registration with Upper Allen Township is required. Registration renewals can be mailed into the Township. The dog park is for dogs, their handlers, and those accompanying them. No other use of the dog park is permitted. All users must be registered with the Township to receive an access key fob to utilize the dog park. Key fobs are non-transferable and can only be used by registered individuals and their dog(s).
*Make Checks Payable to Upper Allen Township
In order to complete the registration forms, the owner must bring the following items IN PERSON (Registration RENEWALS can be mailed into the Township):
- Completed registration form with veterinary signature
- Payment – Cash or Check only
Registration forms can be found in the link at the bottom of the page.
Dog Park Rules
The success of this park depends on self-policing and the good manners of its users. Please read the rules of the dog park, IN FULL, prior to visiting.
- Dog park use is at your own risk.
- The park is restricted to those with current registration and in possession of an active security fob purchased at Township office at 100 Gettysburg Pike during business hours, Monday thru Friday, 8 to 4:30.
- Dogs must be a minimum of 4 months old and must be licensed, healthy, current on vaccinations, and spayed/neutered if older than 1 year of age.
- Size restrictions for small and large dog areas must be observed as posted. Only dogs less than 30 lbs. are permitted in the small dog area. Only dogs over 30 lbs. are permitted in the large dog areas.
- Handlers must keep dogs in sight, and be in control of dogs at all times.
- Excessive barking is not permitted in accordance with Upper Allen Township Code, Chapter 88 Section3.
- Dogs must be collared; however, no chain, prong, or e-collars are permitted due to safety concerns.
- Aggressive behavior will not be tolerated and could lead to revocation of park access.
- No more than two (2) dogs per person/owner at a time.
- Dog waste must be picked up immediately and deposited in the provided receptacles.
- Dog handlers must be 18 or older.
- Children under the age of 5 are not permitted within the fenced areas.
- Food, treats, smoking, and alcohol are not permitted within the park.
- Dog handlers must bring water for their dogs. At this time, neither the dog park nor the church can furnish water.
- No digging allowed.
- No toys or balls allowed.
- If you misplace your fob, you may purchase a replacement at the Township building during business hours.
- There is no park personnel on duty.
- Rules are subject to change and may be revised at any time.
- The full Dog Park Rules with explanations can be found in the link above.
There will be regular maintenance of the grass and landscaping by the Township. This includes but is not limited to mowing, grounds rehabilitation, and structural repair/replacement. Township staff will work in the park daily for general upkeep, while turf maintenance will be contracted out weekly.
During the short intervals of mowing operations within the fenced areas, you are required to leave the enclosed areas until the mowing is completed.
When You Visit The Dog Park
Please note, the parking lot is shared with Daybreak Church. When you arrive at the dog park, there may be other activities such as Church events taking place, so please be considerate when driving through and parking. Park in paved/marked parking areas only.
Until entering the dog park, your dog must remain on-leash. When you arrive at the dog park, you’ll see there is a double-gate entry system that’s there for your dog’s safety. Using your fob, enter the first gate with your dog on-leash and close the gate. Remove your dog’s leash and open the second gate to enter the park.
When leaving the park, first make sure that no dogs are entering, or wait until they have entered the park. Open the inside gate and put your dog back on-leash before opening the outside gate. Keep your dog on-leash until your return to your car.
When It’s Time To Leave The Dog Park
Sometimes even the friendliest dogs may have had enough. It may be time for you and your dog to call it a day if playful behavior starts to turn to aggressive behavior. Signs that it may be time to leave include:
- Body stiffening, hair on back or shoulder standing up
- Repeated correcting of other dogs, sometimes over benign instances
- Targeting, bullying or stalking individual dogs
- Fearfulness which does not subside
Generally speaking, a dog owner knows his or her pet and whether the behavior exhibited is friendly playful behavior vs. potentially dangerous behavior. Better to err on the side of safety and come back another day! When leaving the park, first make sure that no dogs are entering, or wait until they have entered the park. Open the inside gate and put your dog back on-leash before opening the outside gate. Keep your dog on-leash until your return to your car.
Response To Emergencies
Report all unattended dogs to the Upper Allen Township Police Department at (717) 795-2445.
In an emergency, or assistance in unsafe situations, please call 911.
As a dog owner, you are liable for injuries and damage inflicted by your dog. Watch your dog carefully! If your dog injures a person or a dog, give your name and phone number to the injured party.
Report to law enforcement authorities any handlers who refuse to take responsibility for damages/injuries and who are endangering the safety of others.
321 Gettysburg Pike
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
Upper Allen Dog Park At Daybreak
321 Gettysburg Pike Mechanicsburg, PA 17055