TRASH AND RECYCLING INFORMATION
For questions about your trash and recycling pick up, call Republic Services at 1-800-210-9675
New Trash Contract Information
- The three-year trash contract expired December 31, 2022
- Authorization to advertise for trash/recycling services was presented and approved at the August 17th Board of Commissioners meeting. Agendas and Minutes to meetings are posted online.
- At the October 5th Board of Commissioners meeting, it was shared that three companies responded to the bid. Two companies gave a “no bid.” Only Republic Services, our current supplier replied with an actual bid. Other companies were contacted to be part of the bid process but said they do not service our area. Agendas and Minutes to meetings are posted online.
- Republic Services was awarded the 2023-2025 contract with the rates below.
Republic Services Rates
- 2023 – $341.76 per year or $85.44 per quarter
- 2024 – $362.16 per year or $90.54 per quarter
- 2025 – $384.00 per year or $96.00 per quarter
- The contract stipulated that with these rates, Republic Services many not raise the rates with a fuel adjustor like was permitted in the last contract.
Why did Republic Services increase the cost?
- They are paying three times as much to process recycling than when they started the last contract in 2020. It was $33 a ton and it is now over $100 a ton.
- They are paying three dollars per ton more for disposal than when they started the last contract in 2020.
- They have done three pay raises to their front-line employees in the last 18 months to try to retain workers. They have been doing $5,000 – $7,000 sign-on bonuses to attract new employees. They have had to raise starting wages.
- Due to the pandemic, more people are working from home either full time or part time and they have seen the volumes of trash and recycling at the curb be consistently higher than pre-pandemic volume which means they have to pay more to get rid of the increased tons of trash and recycling.
What is new with this contract?
- They will not be able to raise rates through a fuel adjuster if the cost of fuel rises.
- You may still have one bulk pick up item per week, but you will need to call ahead to schedule bulk item pick up. 1-800-210-9675
- Residents currently have 96-gallon carts for trash and 64-gallon carts for recycling. There is an option for a 64-gallon cart or 32-gallon cart if you need a smaller size, however, the pricing does not change. If you feel that you need to switch to a smaller cart size, you can all 1-800-210-9675 to request the smaller size.
Always place trash and recycle out the evening before the pickup day (after 6 p.m.)
Containers for household waste cannot exceed 32 gallons or weigh more than 50 pounds each.
Sprinkle a little household vinegar in the bag before you tie it shut and place it at the curb for pickup to deter animals from getting into trash bags.
DO NOT place hazardous waste of any type, such as insecticides, pesticides, construction and building materials, rocks, stones, concrete, car parts or similar materials as part of your weekly waste removal services.
Please adhere to the limit of 6 bags per household. Any extra cans or bags are an additional charge that must be prescheduled and prepaid prior to pick up by calling ahead.
Bulk Items – Please call Republic Services ( 1-800-210-9675) to schedule a pickup of white goods (appliances) such as washers, dryers, refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, air conditioners, hot water heaters and the items listed as acceptable below.
- Carpet 48″ max length rolled & tied, furniture, mattress & box springs, lawnmowers, grill, car tires (no rims), toilets, sinks, shower stalls, indoor bathtubs, interior doors, general household items.
- Yard waste, bags or boxes of household trash, and cardboard boxes are NOT considered bulk.
- Vehicles: Tractors, boats (any type of watercraft whatsoever, including kayaks, canoes, etc.), riding mowers, vehicle parts including truck caps.
- Concrete items: including lawn and garden ornaments.
- Railroad/landscaping ties, pianos, organs.
- Electronics: TV’s, computers and accessories
- Building or flooring materials such as: Garage doors, hot tubs/Jacuzzis, PVC pipe, etc.
- Outside Structures including: Fencing, gazebos & swing sets
- Propane tanks.
- Glass must be taped or wrapped to prevent driver injury, liquids must be drained.
- All items over 8 feet long must be broken down or disassembled and bundled.
- Nothing longer than 8 feet and/or exceeding 75 pounds without division approval.
- Mattresses and box springs with bedbugs or that are badly stained (blood) must be wrapped for pick up.
- Sectional sofas: Each section is considered 1 item.