Is the Township a member of the Capital Region Council of Governments (CapCOG)?

Yes, the Township is a member of CapCOG. For more information about CapCOG, visit: www.capitalregioncog.org

Community Services

Where is my local library?

You can reach the Joseph Simpson library, located at 16 North Walnut Street in Mechanicsburg, at 766-0171. They are part of the Cumberland County Library System. Please visit www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org for a list of public libraries.

American Flag Disposal Available at the Township Building

As a revered symbol of the United States of America, our flag should be disposed of in a respectable manner. Retiring the American flag, with the respect and gravity that it is entitled, is a great way to show our appreciation of the “stars and stripes” and all it stands for, and is a time-honored tradition and one that carries a great significance.

The Township thanks Eagle Scout Gabriel Fatzinger, of Troop 190 of the Boy Scouts of America, for placement of a flag disposal box on Township property. The white metal box is located adjacent to the Township building at 100 Gettysburg Pike, and can be used by citizens for flag disposal 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Where can I find the forms to file my local taxes in Upper Allen Township?

Cumberland County Tax Bureau is Upper Allen Township’s income tax collector. You may call the Bureau at 590-7997 to request tax forms or you may download tax forms from the Bureau’s web site: www.cumberlandtax.org

Does the Township issue dog licenses?

Upper Allen Township we will not be issuing dog licenses at our office for the remainder of 2021. For more information on how to obtain a dog license, please visit the Cumberland County Treasurer’s website at https://www.ccpa.net/128/Treasurer or call them directly at 717-240-6380.

Where do I obtain a voter registration application?

You can obtain voter registration forms at the Township Building. You may send or take completed forms to the Cumberland County Board of Elections for issuance of your voter registration card. After your Voter Registration Mail Application has been processed, you will receive a Certificate of Registration which indicates your Precinct and Polling Place.

Does the Township have a Trap, Neuter and Return (TNR) program for feral cats?

Managing Community Cats

Yes.  Chapter 88 of the Township Code states it is unlawful to feed stray or feral cats, unless that person participates in a sponsored Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) program.  Nobody’s Cats Foundation serves as a local TNR organization to help residents control stray and feral cat populations. 

The Township has implemented a voucher program that will relieve some of the costs associated with participating in the TNR program. The vouchers are redeemable for the standard TNR services including spay or neuter surgery, ear tip, parasite treatment, antibiotics, rabies and distemper vaccinations. Vouchers are only for free-roaming cats that will be returned to the wild; pets and free-roaming cats that will eventually become indoor pets are not eligible for services. These vouchers must be presented at time of service after scheduling a veterinarian visit with The Nobody’s Cats Foundation. Residents are encouraged to stop by the Township building to pick up a voucher if participating in the program. Further questions regarding the Township’s TNR Voucher program can be directed to the Community Development Department during regular business hours. To learn more about becoming a caretaker in the TNR program, contact The Nobody’s Cats Foundation at nobodyscats.org or 1-855-867-4228.

Where do I vote?

First make sure that you register to vote in person at the Cumberland County Election Office, located at 1601 Ritner Highway, Suite 201, Carlisle 17013, the phone number is 240-6100, or pick up a mail-in form at the Township Office. You must re-register to vote if you move or have not voted at least once during the last two calendar years.

Voter registration is complete when you receive a voter’s identification card from the County. Upper Allen is located in the 88th Legislative District and the 31st Senatorial District for state elections and in the 19th Congressional District. Upper Allen Township has 10 voting precincts.

Visit www.votespa.com, or call 240-6385 for more information. • Precinct #1 – Daybreak Church, 321 Gettysburg Pike • Precinct #2 – Grantham Brethren in Christ Church, 421 Grantham Road • Precinct #3 – Shepherdstown United Methodist Church, 1934 S. York Street • Precinct #4 – St. Peter Lutheran Church, 130 Nittany Drive • Precinct #5 – Bowmansdale Church of God, 107 E. Lisburn Road • Precinct #6 – Crossroads Community Church, 1425 S. Market Street • Precinct #7 – Messiah Home for the Aged, 100 Mt. Allen Drive • Precinct #8 – Upper Allen Township Municipal Building, 100 Gettysburg Pike • Precinct #9 – Immanuel Alliance Church, 800 S. Market Street • Precinct #10 – Temple Beth Shalom, 913 Allendale Road


When do I need a Zoning Permit?

A Zoning Permit is typically needed prior to establishing or expanding use, and before a building or structure is built or altered. A Zoning Permit is also required for construction of decks, fences, sheds, and driveways.

A plot plan is often required to verify compliance with Zoning Ordinance requirements (i.e. setbacks, impervious coverage). Help to determine if you need a permit and what type.

When do I need a Building Permit?

Any time you are constructing a new building, structure, or swimming pool, or taking on a remodeling project, you will need a Building Permit. It is best to assume that a permit is required, and contact the Township Staff to clarify permit requirements.

An application is necessary, and plan review is often required to determine compliance with Construction Code requirements. Help to determine if you need a permit, and what type.

Where can I get a Permit Application?

Applications are available at the Township Municipal Office from our Community Development department. You may also find the application online in the document repository under the Forms category.

If you’re unsure, you can get help to determine if you need a permit, and what type.

How do I obtain a burn permit?

Burning of any type requires a permit issued by the Upper Allen Township code official. You may apply for a permit at the Township office and, if approved, are good for an entire week. All burning is subject to the regulations listed under Section 307 of the International Fire Code as adopted.

The burning of the following items is prohibited: • Animal or human waste • Wet garbage or food waste • Roof shingles • Tires or any rubber product • Plastics • Paints, varnishes or other petroleum-based products • Painted or stained siding • Hazardous chemicals or materials • Other demolition waste • Wet or dry leaves • Cardboard, magazines, slick paper • Or any other material that may be collected under the Townships waste recycling program or regular trash collection contract.

Property Damage

My mailbox was knocked down by the snow plow or snow is piled up in front of it and the mailman will not deliver the mail. Who is going to fix it?

Report it to the Public Works Department by calling 697-8024 and we will make a determination. If it is your responsibility you may qualify for a small set reimbursement from the Township. If we have a lot of snow then it may be impossible to keep from piling the snow in front of mailboxes.

In this instance it is advisable to have a temporary mailbox or any type of container labeled for mail delivery, that can be placed at the edge of the pile of snow where the mailman can reach it. If your mailbox was damaged by a direct hit from the plow (this happens very seldom) then we will assume responsibility and either replace or repair it.

If it was damaged by snow off the blade, then often times it was not in very good shape, to begin with, and may have had a rusted or rotted post, a plastic post that gets brittle in the cold and shatters, or just a post that had poor or weak installation.


Does the Township have an active recycling program?

Yes, the Township does have a mandatory recycling program. Chapter 210 of the Township Code requires all persons and business and institutional establishments to recycle. This includes all township and municipal-owned buildings. Additional information about trash and recycling.


Who do I contact when a streetlight is not working properly?

Get the Pole # and the closest street address. Call PPL at 1-800-342-5775. Select Option 1, then Option 4. Repairs are made within 7-10 business days.

Who do I contact when a traffic signal light is out or not operating properly?

Call the Township Office at 766-0756. Upper Allen Township owns and maintains all traffic signals within Upper Allen Township. If you see that a light is out in one of the signal heads, then please call the Township Office.

The best way to identify the light that is out is by the intersecting street names (i.e. Gettysburg Pike and South Market Street), as well as the direction of travel and the street name (i.e. southbound on South Market Street). We will contact our contractor to repair the signal light.

Township Services

When is curbside brush pickup scheduled? (And other questions relating to brush pickup)

Information on the Township Curbside Brush Pickup can be found on the Brush Pickup Page

When does leaf pickup start and how long does it last? (And other questions relating to leaf collection)

Information on the Township Curbside Leaf Pickup can be found on the Curbside Leaf Pickup page.

Why doesn’t the Township plow all the streets in the Township?

This could happen for a number of reasons. Some streets are not dedicated to the Township and either remain private or the responsibility of the contractor. Some streets belong to Penn DOT and are their responsibility.

Penn DOT does have a contract with the Township to provide winter maintenance (salting and plowing only) on some sections of the following State highways: 1. South York street (between Gettysburg Pike & W Winding Hill Rd) 2. East Winding Hill Rd (from Park & Ride to Arcona Rd) 3. West Winding Hill Rd (from South Market to Fisher Rd) 4. West Lisburn Rd (from Gettysburg Pike to S. Market St) 5. Grantham Rd (from Lisburn Rd to Cul-de-Sac)

Why is my driveway always plowed in or my sidewalk always gets covered after I have shoveled it?

There is very little space between the curb and the sidewalk. If there is a considerable amount of snow, then it will roll off the plow’s blade and onto the sidewalk. Snow in your driveway is inevitable. We can plow snow but cannot remove it! You can limit the snow that gets pushed into your sidewalk or driveway, by taking a look at the infographic on our Snow Removal page.

Why do I get more snow on my corner than across the street?

Drivers are assigned the same areas year after year. Designated routes allow us to get a particular area plowed in as little time and with as little maneuvering as possible. Depending on how we start plowing a street, there will always be more snow on one corner or the other. If we change our route, then it will take us longer to plow your area. More information about snow removal and your area.

Why does my street always look like it was not plowed?

All streets that the Township is responsible for are plowed. The Township will plow one lane in either direction. We run all plows on the road surface and most times they are scraped very clean. However, often times people shovel or snow blow the snow from their driveway into the street. It also causes a huge safety problem and makes it very difficult to plow the next time.

Aside from making it look like the street is not plowed, this is illegal! If the snow does not melt and remains rough and frozen to the pavement, it becomes a safety hazard that we cannot plow off.

Sometimes it creates more of a hazard to plow the street, in instances when freezing rain or sleet is in the forecast following a snowfall. Leaving the snow on the street gives vehicles traction that they wouldn’t have if they were just driving on ice. More information about snow removal and your area.


Where can I dispose of trash?

All Townships residents must use Republic Services for their routine weekly trash collection. Each household is allowed to put out six bags of trash per week as well as one bulk item per week.

For waste disposal facilities in the region, as well as countywide trash and recycling information, please visit the Cumberland County website. Commercial businesses use private haulers of their choice for their weekly trash collection. Additional information about trash and recycling.

Where do I get a recycling bin?

Contact Republic Services at 1-800-210-9675 to obtain a recycling bin. Examples of the different options available are located at the Township building for reference.

What can I put in my recycling bin?

Republic Services will accept the following recyclables, which should be co-mingled in one bin: Aluminum food and beverage containers • Glass food and beverage containers – brown, clear, or green • Bi-Metal, Steel and Aerosol cans • PET plastic containers with the symbol #1 – *narrow neck containers only • HDPE plastic containers with the symbol #2 – *narrow neck containers such as milk and water bottles, detergent, shampoo, bleach bottles, etc. without caps • Plastics with symbols #3, #4, #5, #6, #7 – *narrow and screw top containers • Newsprint • Cardboard – flattened in 2’ x 2’ bundles (may be placed in recycling bin along with other recycling) • Residential mixed paper (Junk Mail, magazines, glossies, telephone books, printer/copier paper) • Cereal Boxes Additional information about trash and recycling.

Waste Disposal

Does the Township have a place to get rid of sod/dirt, old concrete, building products, etc.?

No. Residents should contact Cumberland County Solid Waste at 240-6489 for guidelines on disposal of these types of items.

What can I do with used motor oil?

This service has been suspended indefinitely. Residents are advised to contact local auto supply stores, where used motor oil is frequently accepted.

How do I dispose of old paint cans?

If the paint is water-based (latex) paint, put cat litter or newspaper in the can to absorb the excess paint. You may then replace the lid and throw the cans in with your regular trash. If the paint is oil based, please call the Cumberland County Solid Waste Authority at 717-240-6489 for instructions.

Water Issues

I have a storm water swale through or next to my property. Who is responsible for the maintenance?

The best thing to do is to call the Township office at 766-0756. They can tell you if the swale is either a dedicated “Right of Way” or an “Easement” and advise you who is responsible.