The Community Development Department is a team of skilled and certified planning, building, zoning, and stormwater professionals who effectively administer programs, practice sound planning principles, provide educational support, and judiciously enforce regulations.

The staff is committed to providing sensitive, courteous, and efficient services to ensure a good quality of life for Upper Allen Township residents and property owners.  Department staff works closely together and with other 3rd party agencies to address the many aspects of building, zoning and land development.

Community Development Department

100 Gettysburg Pike, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055

  • Telephone: 717-591-3767
  • Fax: 717-796-9833

Community Development Director/Planner, Jennifer Boyer

Zoning/Code Enforcement Officer, Michael Welt

Building Code Official, Frank Grottola

Stormwater Program Manager, Garrett Vandebrake

Planning Technician, Scott Finkenbiner



  • Building Inspectors are responsible for reviewing and issuing building and occupancy permits. The Inspectors conduct routine inspections of building construction, plumbing, mechanical, and heating and cooling equipment to ensure compliance with the International Building Code (IBC) and Uniform Construction Code (UCC).
  • Residential Electrical plan reviews and inspections are accomplished through the use of Third-party electrical agencies.
  • Commercial Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, and Energy plans are accomplished through the use of Third-party agencies.
  • Property owners should contact the Building Department for a list of approved 3rd party agencies for electrical inspections.


  • The Fire Marshal serves as a liaison between the Fire Department and property owners.
  • The Fire Marshal reviews and issues operational and burn permits, and conducts fire inspections of commercial properties to ensure compliance with the International Fire Code (IFC).

Planning And Zoning

  • Planning and Zoning officials are responsible for reviewing subdivision and land development plans, Zoning Amendments, Certificate of Appropriateness requests, Special Exception permits, and Variance permits.
  • Zoning Officers review zoning permits and perform zoning-related property inspections. They also serve as liaisons for the Planning Commission (PC), Zoning Hearing Board (ZHB), and Historic Architectural Review Board (HARB).


  • Certified Stormwater Inspectors are responsible for overseeing the Township’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4).   Inspectors are responsible for conducting inspections on stormwater systems, upgrading the Township’s investigate various stormwater and illicit discharge complaints.  Staff also work with the Stormwater Authority to administer the Township’s stormwater fee and credit programs.
  • For more information about the Township’s MS4 program, go to Stormwater Management.  For more information about the Stormwater Authority, go to Stormwater Authority.

Code Enforcement

  • Staff conduct routine property maintenance inspections and work with residents to bring their properties up to code compliance.
Reminder: High Weeds And Grass
  • We would like to remind residents that it is unlawful for grass and weeds to be in excess of ten (10) inches in height on all premises and exterior property.
  • Chapter 189 of the Township Ordinances and Section 302.4 of the Property Maintenance Code states all premises and exterior property within any districts shall be maintained free from weeds or weed growth in excess of 10 inches.
  • All noxious plants shall be prohibited. “Weeds” shall be defined as all grasses and vegetation, other than trees, shrubs or vegetation that is edible, provided, however, this term shall not include farm fields, cultivated flowers, and gardens.
  • The provisions of this section shall be applicable to land that is located 200 feet or less from any building or structure available for use for human occupancy.

Additional Information

  • To determine what permit you may need for a project, visit our Permits page.  If you already know what permit you need, permit applications can be found on our Applications page.
  • To file a maintenance complaint about a property, a form may be filled out and submitted to the Community Development department.  The form can be found on our Forms page.
  • To learn more about stormwater, visit our Stormwater Management page.
  • To learn more about the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), visit our Floodplain Management page.
  • To learn more about planned and active developments going on in the Township, visit our Development Projects page.

Additional Community Services

Township Regulations

Township representatives posing for a picture with PA Gov. Wolfe

Emergency Alerts & News

Slate board with letter B

Xpress Bill Pay

Preview of Xpress Pay website

Community Map

Upper Allen Township community map